Our mission is to provide our customers with superior food they can feel confident eating.
At Avedano’s, we believe that exceptional meals start with exceptional raw materials. We source premium products for our customers: grass-fed beef, wild-caught and responsibly farmed fish, seasonal local and organic produce, and handpicked gourmet pantry items. Our menu of prepared foods are made every day utilizing the freshest, best ingredients available.
Avedano’s Holly Park Market occupies the space most recently inhabited by Cicero’s Meats, a family-owned market that opened in 1955 and served the Bernal Heights neighborhood for several decades. The building has been a butcher shop or market for the better part of the last century. The original shop, Bleuss Meats, opened on the site in 1901, and many of the antique furnishings and equipment survive and have been incorporated into the current design, lending the shop an authentic period feel. The current owners have restored the shop to its former splendor, including the vintage neon sign, which proudly shines once again in Bernal Heights.
The name Avedano’s is derived from the maiden name of a founder’s grandmother Flora, a first-generation Italian American whose family immigrated to San Francisco from Asti, Italy only days before the infamous earthquake of 1906. The name evokes family, tradition, and an important era of San Francisco’s history. Many of the dishes on the prepared foods menu were inspired by Flora Avidano.
Over dinner one night in the winter of 2006, three food-industry veterans dreamed up a new joint venture. They envisioned a butcher shop and specialty market with great food and high quality service that would meet the needs of the local community. In 2007 they opened Avedano’s Holly Park Market on Cortland Avenue in a space that fittingly was once home to a beloved neighborhood butcher shop.